Monday, January 30, 2012

OSDP Follow Up!

So in my first Blog entry I sorta touched on (OSDP) Organizing, Selling, Donating, Purging!  I am happy to say that I did my share of organizing my unused/untouched "stuff" and participated in an indoor Yard Sale - my first one for the year!  I have to say that it was liberating to say the least.   Not only did I get rid of some things that I haven't used in ions, I made $ to fund a few projects while I was at it!  $220 to be exact.  I KNOW that's pretty good right?!!!!!!!!!!  Getting up at the butt crack of dawn - not my favorite thing in the whole wide world, but it was worth a few hours of work (if you consider  mindless chatter with strangers while sipping on a coffee work) and one of my friends participated as well, so it wasn't like I sat there twiddling thumbs. 

I plan to participate in a few more before our move.  Since I live on the East Coast, we don't have the luxury of having garage/yard sales all year round.  Typically, yard sale season starts in April and Ends in September when the temps get cooler here.  And by the way, I have a friend who is a die hard yard saler.  Let me tell you... there is a whole other world of these people out there!  They all know eachother from seeing eachother in their "treasure seeking" expeditions.  And I am telling you, it's like a sport - these people are in it to win it - that great deal of the day.  AND they show up religiously early.  I went to set up my stuff at this indoor Yard Sale this past weekend at 6:15 (because they allowed us to come in at 6:30am - it was held at a church gym) and there were people camped out at the entrance.  It was all in the low 20's and very chilly.  I'd loathed getting out of my electric blanket heated bed that morning and was thankful to have my first cup of coffee.  I couldn't have imagined waiting by the front door to buy someone else's trash.    Okay, I'm going off on a tangent here...

While I am thinking about it... there are so many things that you can do to participate in Yard Sales or even facilitate one.  I happend to find this one through a friend who belonged to the congregation of the church that was having this yard sale.    You can ask to participate in those types of yard sales, OR go to your local Community Center and ask to spear head a Community based yard sale.  You can pass out flyers, tell your friends, announce it in the newpaper, etc.... and while you are doing all that - you can simultaneously ask for participants to sell their things, making it an even bigger deal.  I say this with determination, because I'm not a big fan of having garage sales at my home.   While there are some really friendly and normal people, there are also those random, scary/creepy individuals who make you want to set your alarm at night. 

I guess my point is... I set out to get rid of some things to start a few projects and get this Blog rolling, and I did it.  I have two projects that I am rolling out in the next few days and am VERY proud and excited to share them with you!  So stay tuned for those!  So I encourage you to take the OSDP challenge!

Catch you on the re-run!  - CK

No comments:

Post a Comment